Friday, June 26, 2009

The Day Michael Jackson Died

My friend, my lover asked me a question
A question that sent me even farther apart from television

All the channels showed me one death
A death of the Icon Michael Jackson
But it did not show the other lives that were yet to be deceased

And I’m neither shocked nor appalled
I knew this was going to happen
This, this thing we call life

And we forget that there are millions of others out there
I understand he was amazing, and such a Thriller
But he is no less of a genius now than he was before
Of course he is family and he will be missed

But what about the ones we will truly miss if something happened
The ones who are never too far from arms reach
So we deem them worthy of this word called friendship
As we try to figure out what the reason for chemotherapy really is
Only to understand and realize, realize and understand
I mean, I had a thought but I didn’t quite know what it was for

The internet is helpful for information but it’s never an aid for mending hearts
So how can I answer her question when no one is watching
No one is trying to find the answers to cure cancer
They’re watching reruns of headlines that don’t need to be shown to the world
It’s ok if a loss or a win is personal
And kept inside four dimensional walls called a Home

Maybe we’re just stuck in a cell that tells us,
“Michael Jackson Dead At 50.”

Maybe if it had said something like,
“I Only Asked Because My Friend Is Doing Chemo…”

…would we understand that it doesn’t matter about stars
Or how bright they shine, but it matters most
How long after they’re gone that they still keep on shining
Even if we don’t see them anymore
Or how bright they shine even if inside everyone else is dying with them

No comments:

Post a Comment